Monday, December 3, 2012

Oral Presentation Feedback and Highlight Photos

I know my last blog post left those who missed my presentation with a bit of cliffhanger by promising to recap so here it is.

I started off my presentation about obesity and food addiction by trying to put people at ease.  Whenever I tell people that I am working on a research project on obesity and food addiction, people generally don't know what food addiction is and/or immediately become defensive and assume I am about to launch a snooty attack on their eating habits.  Note: this is not at all what I am doing.  Food trucks, legend Bobby Flay, and social media like Yelp designed to help us seek out hot spots for great cuisine represent the thriving food culture in America that I absolutely love (and of which I can't get enough!).

But as I have discussed before, here is the problem: the prevalence of obesity is not only increasing, but it's costing our country a LOT of money.

But there are studies that I discussed that have yielded positive results for treating food addiction such as cognitive behavioral therapy, 12 step programs, and operant conditioning.

I also discussed briefly one of my favorite cookbooks that reflects the current directive of Michelle Obama's campaign to end obesity.  The first 40 or so pages of Food Matters, by Mark Bittman, discuss why we need to change how we eat as a nation.  The environmental and health impacts are staggering. His focus rests in changing the balance of proportions from 70% animal and processed foods eaten to 30%.  This implies making meat a garnish, rather than a side dish, as well as coming up with excellent, affordable ways to make healthy food delicious.  I highly recommend the book for those who might be interested in becoming a more knowledgeable cook.

As for your feedback...I would like to address a few questions and comments that people provided.  If I do not address yours, I apologize, but I will try to get to it in future posts.  If you're dying for an answer right this second, I hate to sound like I am talking to my mother when she asks computer advice: just google it.
Question: What is the source of other countries' lower obesity rates?
Answer: I have looked into this and have not been able to tie my findings into my research project (there are so many facets to obesity, that this project runs the risk of trying to accomplish too much).  What I have found, however, is that many European countries walk more.  There is much less of a reliance on car transportation, and many people must walk or bike to work and home.  Additionally, there is greater consumption of olive oil (a very good type of fat the improves HDL/LDL cholesterol levels) and red wine and cooked tomatoes have been studied to yield positive health benefits.  Also, I don't think it's much of a secret or surprise that America is generally more excessive in just about every category of consumption.  Also, there seems to be a misconception that America is the only country with this problem.  Although my focus relates primarily to the United States, the UK and other developed countries are experiencing alarming increases in obesity as well (this answers someone else's question too).

Comment: look at TV shows' effectiveness.
Response:  If there is one monumental disappointment I have come across in my research, it is that I cannot seem to find the effectiveness of certain media such as Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution or Supersize Me.  I have read various critiques of Supersize Me, which definitely created enough negative press for fast food companies (particularly McDonald's) that calorie counts were soon added to menus in all of their restaurants.  However, whether these calorie count lists are effective at dissuading individuals from eating unhealthy food, I have found very little information.  And what little information I have come across, it looks dismal in terms of the number of people whose minds are changed.  By this I mean that people who are already health-conscious see these numbers and internalize what they mean.  They respond to these numbers and behave accordingly.  As for those who have consistently unhealthy eating patterns, these figures tend to have little impact in decision-making so far as I can tell from my research.

There are several other questions that I will be addressing soon (fullness problems v. satiety; insurance & DSM, triggering pleasure center, anorexia v. obesity), so I will be back soon!  Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Best,

Graham

1 comment:

  1. I am really looking forward to your exploration of anorexia/obesity. I am very interested in fashion and once wrote a paper about how its unfair to blame "skinny" models on young girls being anorexic because the amount of people who are anorexic is minimal compared with those who are obese. So do seeing images of "skinny" models and celebrities cause women and men to have eating disorders? I highly doubt it. It is interesting though that people are bombarded with images of beautiful and fit celebrities, yet that doesn't motivate anyone to lose weight...

    ReplyDelete