Saturday, July 12, 2014

A Beautiful Day in Mammoth Lakes

So we got into mammoth in the evening last night with delightful effects of the altitude and dehydration starting to fog up my brain a bit. Solution: pounding water and a pulled chicken sandwich in the Mammoth Village. With appetites satiated, we settled in to watch The Pagemaster, a Macaulay Caulkin classic that will never go out of style. Imaginations primed to give us some pretty cool dreams, we retired for the night.

This morning was lazy--we got up and ate breakfast at a leisurely 9 o'clock. As much as I'm sure the coming days of waking up with the sun will be a slap in my face, I can't wait to sync my sleep schedule with the sun. As they say early to bed, early to rise...

We then looked unsuccessfully for a rain cover for my backpack and a waterproof case for my phone (so I can take pictures without worrying about damaging it).  Thankfully Maddie's mom has offered to bring both of them up on Monday!

After getting groceries for the weekend, we headed out for a three mile out-and-back hike to Sherwin Lake. It was a solid 600 feet or so of pleasant climbing and we were rewarded with stunning views of the lake and surrounding mountains of the John Muir Wilderness. 
The ladies headed up the trail to Sherwin Lake

Sherwin Lake at last!

Brace yourself for the selfies to come

Nature lovers

Vistas galore

At the lake we devoured our turkey sandwiches and soaked our filthy feet in the lake before heading down. We considered going for a swim but the water was a little shallow and we would have been swimming in silt kicked up from the bottom. 

Despite 90 degree heat, the weather really hasn't felt overwhelmingly hot. There's a solid breeze and it feels awesome! Another plus: minimal bug issues! As of now we're undecided as to whether we will be taking bug repellant. I'm not a fan of the way repellant--or sunscreen for that matter--feel on my skin, so I've opted for long layers and a big admittedly ridiculous looking sunhat and mosquito headnet combo.

Most stylish hiker award? I hear these hats are all the rage with gardeners and the ladies at the lawn bowling club alike!

So for photos Maddie requested that I remove my hat...it's probably for the best.

Just lounging around by the lake!

Upon our return this evening: showers, Z Pizza (oh, how I will miss you!), cookie baking, apartment hunting, and some borderline unhealthy competition playing Bananagrams and Taboo. 

Sounds like a perfect night to me.  We're so happy to be enjoying our last few days before the trip acclimating and spending time with friends before we all head off to graduate school. Savoring every minute!  

For more photos check my Instagram here: GRAHAM'S INSTAGRAM

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment