Friday, July 10, 2015

Clark Loop Day 1

The thought occurred to me last week that its been almost an entire year since Maddie and I embarked on the JMT. Whoa. Time flies. With summer whizzing by so quickly already, it startled me to further realize that I've slept inside my tent a mere single night since my sleepless stint at Guitar Lake. I've been fortunate enough to "glamp" a few times this Spring, and while I wouldn't trade those memories for anything, I thought it was about time I wire my brain in JMT mode. With Matt's wedding a mere month away and our Italian adventure on the horizon, it felt overdue to reward myself for a good first school year with an impromptu backpacking trip/gear shakedown in Yosemite.  

So here I am, camped somewhere along Illouette Creek before Lower Merced Pass Lake. I got a really late start today on account of me staying up late to organize and clear space on my phone for photos. I also went on an audiobook spree on Audible...and I'm not ashamed to say I'm digging my Percy Jackson selection.  I now realize how deeply Ive needed to fill the Harry Potter sized void in my imagination. So far, so good. I've also got some Aziz, Amy Poehler, and BJ Novak lined up.  I'm not going to lie, I'm moderately to severely devastated that Mindy Kaling's new audiobook/book isn't going to be released until Septembwr (after my JMT trip). Oh well.

Anyway, after a couple days of nosing around on the Internet, I decided I'd try for some variation of the High Passes Loop, or Clark Loop, around Yosemite's Clark Range. With my back still not 100%, I have been hesitating to put too much strain on it, especially after such a demanding year of sim lab work at school.  Nevertheless, here I am, and I only got to Mono Meadow to start hiking at around 2:45, as ominous dark clouds gathered over my destination in the distance. I knew coming here that there were expected scattered thunderstorms all week, but I grew accustomed to such welcoming afternoon weather last year. At this point, it would feel weird NOT to be racing a thunderstorm to set up camp. 

I tried a couple of new things this trip, just for experimentation's sake. I swapped out my Big Agnes sleeping pad for Maddie's NeoAir, I nixed my camp pillow altogether, and I even opted to use Maddie's Osprey pack instead of my own.  These changes, with a few food substitutions, have saved me somewhere between 4 and 5 pounds, and back at the apartment, I felt relieved and proud of myself.  As nice as these savings are, though, the less than perfect fit of the pack is starting to take its toll on my shoulders. Nothing at all to be concerned about, but it's a sure sign I think at least the pack swap will be a no-go for the JMT. But that's good. That's why I'm here trying it out. 

Just hitting the trail

Storm's a-brewin' 

First wildlife shot--almost walked right into this guy as he was behind a bush!

Looking backward about 2-3 miles in, near Illouette Creek first crossing

The reward for the day was less the scenery than it was the solitude, as I only happened upon 3 people beyond the major trail junctions a few miles in. The trail, which is not the best-maintained in parts, has been mainly rolling forested hills, with nothing too steep or challenging. I would say the terrain has been a welcomingly gentle first day's transition into adapting to the physical rigors of backpacking. I sat and devoured an entire bag of Have'A Chips by a waterfall, overlooking the valley walls across from me, pausing my audiobook to listen to the wind and water rumble together. 

Scott, stealing the show, as per usual

About 7.5 miles in I found a great campsite near where a nice man and his daughter were taking a break. We exchanged pleasantries and I learned they had similar plans to mine, so I will likely see them again. I really debated calling it a day and taking advantage of that site, but it was only 6:20 and I knew I could knock out a few more miles today. To my dismay, the terrain became increasingly unforgiving as I ascended the slopes adjacent to Illouette Creek.  Nothing flat or established, and as the sun seemingly began to make a beeline for the horizon, I became a little anxious. Nothing major, but the thought of backtracking always irks me, almost as much as settling for a crappy site. Something inside me just told me to forge onward, and that's what I did.  Finally, when the sun was really beginning to set and dehydration was beginning to kick in, I found the closest thing resembling a campsite. It definitely looked established, it's ample distance from the water, but the problem is that I'm parked a mere 20 feet from the trail. To be sure, I put down my pack and sprinted up the trail a couple hundred yards for a better vantage point up ahead, and found nothing. This was it. I leaned my lesson, and will be sure to look earlier for a place further off the trail.

Another problem I've encountered so far has been my food. A lot of it is suiting my taste buds just fine, it's just that I packed way too much of it!  I had originally planned 110 miles by Saturday, but then reconsidered in the name of injury prevention. What I failed to do was also reduce my food allocation enough, and I had to work extra extra hard to get all my food and smell-ables into my gigantic bear can. Many will tell me my food choices are inefficient and impractical (as I have already addressed), and now I am paying the consequences. Luckily I made enough room in my stomach to eat more and make more room in the can. 



The sunset was unreal tonight as it set over the canyon below me. The campsite was a bit forced, but I'm glad I made it high enough to be able to catch such a wonderful sunset...only to be cut short by the swarm of mosquitoes moments after I sat down to relax. I went the whole day mosquito free, and then BOOM, or rather, BUZZ, there they are. Oh well, now I'm safe in my tent awaiting sleepiness. 

Finally setting up camp!

Tonight's spoils

Fading away 

In further efforts to mitigate my weight concerns on the JMT, I took Maddie's advice to use the bare minimum of everything to see what I can get away with cutting out. So even though I generally run much colder than most people and require extra clothing, I'm forgoing a couple sleep layers to see how it goes. Fingers crossed I make it through the night 😉.  

I'm about tired so I'm gonna listen to some mythological action and go to bed. Oh I almost forgot! Those clouds were bluffing today--no rain for me! ........YET!

No comments:

Post a Comment