Friday, July 10, 2015

Clark Loop Day 3

I really didn't want to leave Rutherford Lake today. Honestly the only thing that got me to break camp was the early aggregation of ominous cloud cover forming overhead. In fact, I was mere minutes from getting ready to go swimming when a shadowy darkness consumed the morning landscape. This and the slightly chilly breeze stayed my hand. If it were one or the other, I would have been stripping down and soaking my filthy self. So I got out even later than yesterday, at around 10am. Yikes. I was surprisingly hot yet again last night and I'm confused about how my body's responding at night, as normally I'm a human icicle. 

Rise and shine!

I was surprised by how well my body felt after how painful yesterday was. I felt really stiff, especially in my calves, but nothing to complain about and as soon as I was back at the trail junction half a mile later I felt ready to roll.  I was expecting to hit a trail junction 1.5 miles later, but I guess Aziz's audiobook is just that interesting because apparently I missed it and went on a two mile detour. I'll chalk it up to Sierra National Forest having different signage than Yosemite...and my stupidity.

Rutherford Lake

Can't get enough of this place

Back on track I hustled on a northeasterly trajectory that would take me to the base of Post Peak Pass. It would be the highest point on my trip so far at almost 10,800 feet. As I made my approach, though, I noticed the darkening clouds surrounding the mountain scape, draped over the peaks and cumulus masses swelling above them. There were patches of sunlight, sure, but I had been caught too many times in a thunderstorms last summer to ignore the anxiety starting to well up inside me. I say anxiety, but it's more of a thrill, I don't know how to put it.  I stopped, surveyed the landscape, weighed the last couple of days' weather patterns in my mind, and decided to push hard to get over the pass. It was a stunningly beautiful climb, and the top rewarded me with views toward Banner and Ritter as well as back to Fernandez. 

En route to Post Peak Pass

 Looking up toward the pass

Still climbing...

From the tippy top

Not only was the weather cooperating, but I checked my phone and actually had service! WHAT?!? I called the immediate family and told them I was okay, even face timed them. But it was cold and my battery was dying fast, so I cut short my link to the outside world, snapped some photos, ate a snack, and moved on. As the trail wrapped around the ridge toward Isberg Pass, I saw one of my favorite views I've beheld in the Sierra. Looking down on a grassy expanse and the surrounding mountains made my jaw drop. I don't presume to be a poet so I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Reaping the fruitful rewards of a tough afternoon climb

The trail down was nice and gentle

No words...

It was on my way down that I thought of a silly spoof of PlacesMyPotGoes that some might deem inappropriate. As drinking a lot of water is crucial on these types of trips, I thought about all the times I've needed to stop to pee. It's not a big deal really. There's basically no one out here and you just step off the trail aways and do the deed. It struck me how I've gotten to urinate in some of the coolest settings on earth! I pictured an Instagram account with tasteful (if I can use that word here...) photos of me or anyone with their backs to the camera doing their business with the backdrop of some of the world's most pristine wilderness. Hence, PlacesMyPeeFlows was born. Before you lash out in disgust and protest, just mull it over. 

Honestly don't know what I would do without this stuff. So good!

A pretty cool tree I guess

Anyway, I continued my descent into the drainage and continued until I reached the junction for Vogelsang. There, I stopped and considered my options for the rest of the day, and ultimately decided to cook dinner there at 5:15 and continue to make some progress on my 2,000 foot climb to Red Peak Pass in store tomorrow. I fired up my new MSR Micro Rocket and made some ramen with Krave jerky thrown in (I promise it's amazing). I love the stove, it's loud but quick and absolutely tiny! 

From my campsite

Home for the night!

The sky was stunning

Looking up toward tomorrow's destination, Red Peak Pass

After packing back up, I really felt a second wind and hauled up the switchbacks. I wasn't sure where I'd end up, but that was part of the excitement. Just GO. I made it a solid couple miles and 600 feet up the climb when I decided to look for a campsite. There were plenty and though the one I found didn't have water, I had a liter left that would last me til morning. A couple of pop tarts and some photos later, and here I am wrapped in my sleeping bag, typing away on my phone. 

One last shot before bed time

I miss my family, and Maddie and my cozy apartment, but it's hard to complain about having the Clark Range of Yosemite seemingly all to myself. Night folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment