Friday, August 8, 2014

DAY 10: Mono Creek to Marie Lake

Wow. As promised, this day turned out to feel even harder than anticipated.  It began with a brutal 2000+ foot climb up Bear Ridge. And yes, all along Bear Ridge and Bear Creek today, I did, indeed, have my eyes peeled for bears. Still no dice. I powered up, fueled by poptarts, and meditated while I waited for Maddie. This is my favorite way to get up switchbacks: get them over with as fast as possible, and reward myself with some meditation.  Like a couple of climbs we've done so far, this one disappointingly lacked many views through the forest.  The climb tired us both out, but I was able to get two blog posts up, so I can't complain.

Crossing Mono Creek

Mono Creek

Climbing Bear Ridge

Still climbing...

Coming down the backside of the ridge was frustrating along the switchbacks.  It gave me the effect of navigating through someone's unkempt backyard garden, a sort of overgrown labrynth of green.  The trail wasn't too pleasant either.  Mired in dirt and grime, it was somewhere during this section today that I suddenly began to feel like Pig-Pen from Charlie Brown. Be they gnats, flies, or mosquitos, they sort of just hover around the both of us. When the wind isn't rushing through my hair, or a stream beside the trail, my insect friends are the disappointing soundtrack to our epic journey.  Over the course of yesterday and today, they have forced my hand to make my bug headnet a semi-permanent staple of my already stellar hiking outfit.  Make note, that I am one rinse cleaner than Maddie, as I was the only one to dunk myself in Purple Lake two days ago.  The bugs don't seem to notice this difference, however, and they do not discriminate as to who they molest.  

Down from Bear Ridge

Creek

What can I say, I really clean up for photos. The bug net really completes the ensemble.

I ended up not taking all that many photos today because up until around 2:15, this was looking to be one of the most unremarkable days on the trail thus far.  It was around that time, though, that a man warned us about a great upcoming swimming hole. And he was totally right. It was one of the nicest, most refreshing swims I have experienced, as today was quite hot.  We were about to strip down to our undies and jump in, when an utterly creep-tastic man parked it right on the trail to watch. I had no qualms about jumping right in, but Maddie, understandably felt uncomfortable taking off any clothing while the guy sort of just stood there. It was definitely one of the weirder moments on the trail, but eventually he wandered a little ways away, freeing us to jump in.  It was the kind of dip you want to cap an afternoon with, not begin a 1500 foot, 5 mile climb.  Reluctantly, we dressed and got back on track to make it to Marie Lake.  

Our afternoon swimming hole along Bear Creek

And the refreshing after shot

Rosemarie Meadow

More Rosemarie

Climbing to Marie Lake

We were both hurting a bit on our final climb to the lake, which would position us just 300 feet or so from the top of our next major pass, Selden Pass.  I struggled immensely setting up our tent in the blustering wind, but managed to get a good pitch eventually before we started cooking dinner.  And now, once again, I have to put down the phone and rest my eyes at the ungodly hour of 8:24pm.  Thanks for continuing to follow our journey, and we hope you're all doing well!  Cannot wait to see everyone! 

Finally!!!

Shadow selfie

Our beast of a day

Before signing off, here's a list of the top 5 things we're craving and will most likely have dreams about:



1) 
Maddie: the chicken pesto sandwich from the Summer House
Graham: Baja Fish Taco bowl and salsa bar
2)
Maddie: fresh strawberries 
Graham: Drunken Noodles from Thai Bros
3)
Maddie: In'n'Out Burger
Graham: In'n'Out Burger
4) 
Maddie: Maddie's mom's green enchiladas
Graham: La Sirena Burrito
5)
Maddie: a milk shake or gin and tonic
Graham: An acai bowl

Now please proceed to mail these items to us at Muir Trail Ranch. K thanks bye.

Switched hats for a minute...look how exposed my ears are to the sun! And somehow she manages to pull mine off.

No comments:

Post a Comment