Friday, August 8, 2014

DAY 19: Arrowhead Lake to Rae Lakes

I really don't like to clutter my blog with negativity, much less start a post with it, but today was an absolute low point for me.  I woke up this morning around 5:30 with my big toes throbbing with incredible pain, with the right one giving me especially more grief.  I got up early before Maddie was even wanted to open her eyes, and I retrieved some food.  As I sat eating, struggling to even move my toe, I ran over a whole host of scenarios in my head as to what this could be and how it could affect me.  Since Muir Trail Ranch, it had seemed that the corners of my big toes where the nail meets the skin, we're experiencing some soreness.  I had been diligent about clipping my nails before the trip, and I haven't really experienced ingrown toe nails before.  At the ranch I had Maddie inspect them, and she said they looked perfectly normal to her, so I haven't thought much of it--just that the toe box of my boot was a little too crowded. But now that I couldn't even get my foot into my boot, I started thinking that it was infected.  I went over my theory with Maddie and she looked very worried, probably similar to how I looked when she came down with her Achilles issue.  I laid out a game plan for her: that I would ask one of the members of another group, who I had overheard had some sort of medical background, if he could take a look at it before jumping to conclusions.  I don't want to come off as a hypochondriac, but out here where your only way out is a 13 mile grueling day hike at the least, these little things loom large in one's mind as potential trip-enders.  I could manage the pain for 5 days, but I'm not sure I would be willing to do that if it meant blood poisoning or spoiling my ability to dance all night at my brother's wedding in a couple weeks (dancing is easily one of, if not my favorite, part of weddings).

So weighted down with an extra helping of anxiety, we packed up slowly and only left camp at 10:30. I opted to wear my crocs for the two and change mile trek up to Rae Lakes. Where we would anxiously await Matt's arrival with our resupply.  I dreaded telling him that we'd have to hike out with him and that his toil had been for naught.  I tried to distance myself from such thoughts and just focus on finding someone more knowledgeable to look at my toe. I ran into Terry, a firefighter and medic, and without showing him, he expressed his concern that the infection would turn septic and I might need to exit.  This isn't the biggest deal in the world, I know, but honestly, the prospect of not completing my journey left me crestfallen.  I knew Maddie would be disappointed as well, though perhaps delighted that a) she gets her in n out sooner than expected and b) she wasn't the reason we were going home.  She was very supportive though, reminding me that what we had accomplished so far was still incredible.  

Hiking in crocs was surprisingly comfortable, actually, though incredibly dorky

Arrowhead Lake from above

That was until a member of the group that gave Maddie some clif bars yesterday told me that another hiker they were camped with was a doctor and he would be happy to look at it.  I hustled over to their camp and showed him the damage.  Within moments, he confirmed my suspicions, and told me it was infected.  He asked if I wanted to finish the trip, to which I have the obvious response of yes.  So he went to his med kit and pulled out some antibiotic, a four day course, and offered them to me.  He recommended I soak the toes in hot water as well, and I should be able to finish out the hike without much risk.  I cannot express how grateful I am for his help and generosity, as he has saved my trip.  When I asked him if this was overkill, he assured me it wasn't and that he wouldn't continue without the antibiotic.  I know I haven't finished the trip yet, but just this man's kindness was enough to bring tears to my eyes, as he gave me a second chance to carry out my goal to its completion, without any gaps or interruptions.  I know some may say, "it doesn't matter if you do it all at once, you can go back and finish the rest later!"  And you have a point.  But if you know me I think you could also put yourself in my shoes and imagine how devastating that feeling would be.  Regardless, here I am in a position to continue hiking, and I feel so lucky. Thank you friendly doctor from New Zealand, thank you so much! 


Rae Lakes and Glen Pass


With Fin Dome in the background

This positive news breathed new life back into the day, enabling us to enjoy the incredible scenery to its fullest and look forward to Matt's arrival.  Can I just take a second and point out how amazing Matt is for doing this?  He's essentially matching our hardest day on the trail, and doing it with a pack nearly 50% heavier than mine.  It's mind boggling, really.  Yet another person for whom we are so grateful to have as a member of our support network.  We could not thank you enough Matt!

So the day crawled by as we excitedly awaited Matt stumbling into camp. We had left notes along the trail and at the ranger station, and we were slightly nervous that we hadn't been able to contact him over Muir Pass, as we had thought we would.  But we had faith in the plan, and sure enough close to 5 on clock, I hear his voice call our names through the trees.  To say this reunion was rejuvenating would be the understatement of the century.  He looked like he had struggled pretty hard over the TWO passes, which he confirmed to be incredibly tough with that load, so I immediately set about putting up his tent and getting him situated and comfortable.  Unpacking his pack was like Christmas.  Chips, poptarts, bars, and that badass even lugged over a BOTTLE OF WINE.  I repeat: a bottle of wine.  Tomorrow's rest day is going to be glorious.  


After a truly monstrous hike over two passes


The one, the only, Matt Shackley

So we unpacked his things, ate dinner, and simply exchanged stories about the last few week's happenings.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear my mom hadn't called him with some worrying concern or another.  More than anything, sitting around our tent site was just a breath of fresh air, having our friend to keep us company.  We sat and talked for quite a while almost until 8, when the three of us hopped into our tent and talked, enjoying views of the sunset out of the vestibules.  Once we were all tired, Matt went back to his tent and we went to sleep...but not before I pulled the hilarious prank of opening Maddie's sleeping pad valve.  The funniest part actually wasn't watching her laugh and struggle to blow it back up while she still sat on top of it (a futile effort). It was the way she got her revenge, saying all these nice wonderful things about the day and how happy she was to be continuing onward...all a distraction while her hand reached over my head and did the same thing to me.  Touché.


The amazing view from our tent

So now it's bedtime, and we could not be happier with a friend, some quality R&R tomorrow, and more food!  Goodnight folks!


I get by with a little help from my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment