Friday, August 8, 2014

DAY 11: Marie Lake to Muir Trail Ranch

You guys, I've had this uncanny ability to dream about what I want to lately. I wouldn't classify as lucid dreaming, per se, but if I think about it just before falling asleep I tend to dream about it just before waking up. This morning, I dreamt I was on a battleship feeding troops, and I was in charge of feeding them a celebratory meal for some reason. So I created a giant pizza divided into three sections.  On one section I added chopped up bits of In-n-Out burger, some extra crispy fries and plenty of spread and grilled onions. On another section, you guessed it, Mexican themed, complete with a salsa verde base, blackened chicken, pico de gallo, guacamole, and why the hell not, some crispy onion strings.  The last third? A Thai themed explosion of holy basil, sautéed onions and peppers, an oyster sauce base, and charred broccoli. I don't really remember much, whether they liked it or not, I just remember grinning like an idiot, pleased with my creation.

With only something like 800 feet of climbing today and 6.8 miles, we thought today would be a piece of cake when we were planning this.  But what we failed to account for was how badly our bodies needed a rest day.  We woke up lazily, muscles and joints stiff and uncooperative.  This would be a trudge day.

Marie Lake was a beautiful and inspiring sight to wake up to, yes, but nevertheless we kept our solid pace that one would only describe as a crawl.  We got to the top of Selden Pass, our third major one, and celebrated with a snack break. By this time at 11am, I had already consumed about 1000 calories, as I had been feeling weak and underfed the day before.  

Leaving our campsite

Beginning our relatively short climb

Nearing the top of the climb

Selden Pass in all it's glory

Down the south-facing side we go

Another unforeseen aspect of this trip not factored into our planning was just how much we would abhor going downhill.  And today was all downhill from Selden Pass.  We would leapfrog with a bunch of people today, all of whom seemed to dislike the relentless descents as much as we do.  Just beginning off the top of Selden, I had the brilliant fantasy of hopping in one of those heavy duty inflatable orbs made famous in New Zealand—I think it's called zorbing—and simply rolling down the 3000+ feet to Muir Trail Ranch.  Alas, my little day dream lasted all of 30 seconds before I almost tripped for the first of a hundred times today.  With legs like jelly and morale dipping as fast as our elevation, I tried being our jukebox for a little bit. I asked Maddie for any requests, and I'm not sure why I bothered asking because she's so predictable. First up, Miley's 'Party in the USA.'  After "noddin my head like yeah" and "movin my hips like yeah" for a little bit I was out of ideas. I'm awful with remembering lyrics. It's a wonder I ever sang for a band in high school when the other band members were the only ones who could memorize the words.  That lasted for a bit, and then we talked about all sorts of things, like the excitement of Ryland and Lauren's wedding, food, and things we'd do differently if we were to hike this again.  So far I think we've done pretty well. I'd obviously do away with the oatmeal, but so far I think we're pretty happy with our choices. I also promised Maddie that I would wear a different, well coordinated outfit every day of the week when we get back. And the fact that I will shave is a given, and not just for the wedding.  Besides the fact that it's annoying, mine grows in reddish, and I challenge you to come up with an attractive ginger beard. Good luck.  This one's aiming to rival the good luck beard I grew studying for the DAT last year. All part of the experience though. 

Our descent included some nice views of Heart Lake (it really is heart shaped) and Sally Keys Lake, before dipping into some more tedious forest. 

Heart Lake

More Heart Lake with Selden Pass up in the back

Maddie above Sallie Keys Lake

Into the forest we go

The forest section was alright, but just as we broke out to see some incredible views of the valley, we were also greeted with a never ending set of switchbacks. (and by now you know how we feel about going downhill).  We were moving pretty quickly until about a mile from the junction to MTR, when Maddie pulled up with a shooting pain in her Achilels tendon. We stopped for quite a while and I massaged her left leg, giving her some ibuprofen and let her rest.  At this point, we were both quite worried.  After she absolutely refused to let me carry her pack down for her, we began a slow trudge downhill, Maddie being extra careful so as not to aggravate her injury.

Great views but the beginning of too many switchbacks

Somewhere down there is Muir Trail Ranch

Almost there!

We finally made it to the ranch around 4pm, and we asked where the nearest place to camp would be, thinking it would be in the adjacent field or something. But no. The old woman manning the reaupply post directed us to a campground that required us to go all the way up a hill and down another to a nearby river.  It's not much, but given the circumstances it was daunting for Maddie. Before leaving, we filled up on water and checked the hiker barrel, scoring some delicious nature valley granola bars as well as...wait for it...a snorkel mask.  Let me reiterate. Some genius thought it at some point a good idea to lug along a SNORKEL MASK!  I was shocked and burst out laughing. Nothing to lighten the mood like someone else's mind-blowingly silly choices. 

As we arrive, only to be directed back up the hill...

Not sure who in their right mind thought carrying a snorkel would be worth it...

At the campground, we set up camp and ate some delicious ramen and sesame ginger rice from the hiker barrel, as we weren't in the mood for the curry we had packed.  Maddie's tendon has calmed down, and we are sincerely hoping it feels better with a day and a half of rest.  Fingers crossed, people.  We got into bed, I lost several games of gin (or gin rummy, I don't know what game we're playing, really. We play the first person to get 3 of a kind, and 4 in a row...so whichever game that is, I suck at it), and I'm now drifting off to sleep.  Goodnight faithful readers.

Our long descent to MTR

Third major pass and going strong!

P.S. I know that those reading this already know or don't plan on ever doing this sort of thing, but I have a request regarding going to the bathroom in the wilderness. PLEASE follow Leave No Trace practices.  When you don't pack out your used toilet paper and opt instead to bury it with your crap, some critters come later and dig it up, creating a not-so-lovely "TP garden" for all to see. It's disgusting.  Some clever individual decided not to dig a hole at all, and instead crushed his/her pile of waste with a rock. You're not fooling anyone. Sorry to sound preachy, but when you spend any appreciable amount of time out here, this kind of scene is appalling to behold.  

No comments:

Post a Comment